Handling of Personal Information
Berlitz Japan, Inc.,
Personal Information Protection Policy
- Berlitz Japan shall strictly abide by relevant legislation related to personal information protection, such as the Act on the Protection of Personal Information, and obligations set forth in guidelines issued by the competent minister, in addition to the terms of this Policy when handling personal information (refers to any information about a living individual which can identify the specific individual, hereinafter same).
- Berlitz Japan shall use personal data within the scope of the following purposes, except in cases in which the prior consent of the relevant person (“relevant person” is defined hereinafter as the specific individual identified by personal information) has been received in advance and in which the handling of said personal data is permitted as an exceptional case by the Law Concerning the Protection of Personal Information and/or other applicable laws and ordinances
- Berlitz Japan shall obtain personal information through lawful means only and shall, excluding cases provided by law as exceptions, publicly announce the purpose of use in advance, or notify the person of the purpose of use or publicly announce the purpose of use promptly after obtaining such information. However, when personal information is acquired from written documents directly from the relevant person, Berlitz Japan will expressly notify the person of the purpose of use in advance
- Berlitz Japan shall endeavor to maintain the personal data handled ("personal data handled" is defined hereinafter as the personal information comprising a personal information database, etc. and "personal information database, etc." is defined hereinafter as a collection of information, including personal information, which is designated by government ordinance as something systematically structured so as to ensure easy retrievability of specific personal information, such as an electronic database or a Who's Who publication) so that it is accurate and up to date within the scope of the purposes of use, and shall take necessary/appropriate security measures in the supervision of employees and contractors in the handling of personal information.
- Berlitz Japan shall not, excluding cases provided by law as exceptions, disclose or provide to third parties any personal data of the relevant person without their prior consent.
- Berlitz Japan will respond to requests for the release or correction of personal data held by Berlitz Japan based on applicable law (excluding data which might harm public or other interests if its presence or absence is known and the data which will be erased within a period of no longer than six months).
- Berlitz Japan shall promptly and appropriately deal with complaints regarding the handling of personal information and endeavor to develop an in-house framework for that purpose.
- Berlitz Japan currently has agreements with several online business partners in order to manage and optimize our internet-based business and communications. Additionally, we utilize the services of an external marketing company in order to gauge how effective our marketing has been and determine how people are using the website. In order to achieve this, we use web beacons and cookies provided by the marketing company to perform integrated website analysis. The type of information collected by Berlitz Japan includes which pages were visited. Coupled with our records, this shows us information such as which pages visitors found interesting, what products customers were attracted to, and which applications they favored. While the marketing company collects this information obtained from our website, Berlitz Japan is responsible for how the data is managed. If you do not wish to participate in surveys that will assist us in improving the Berlitz Japan website, products, applications, or marketing strategies, please visit “customer or Omniture cookie opt-out page link, or procedure to block collection/use of information by third parties” to be excluded from such website analysis tools.
Public Announcement Issued in Accordance with the Law Concerning the Protection of Personal Information
Business Operator Handling Personal Information
Berlitz Japan, Inc.
April 1, 2005
Berlitz Japan, Inc., hereby announces matters related to the purposes of use of obtained personal information and retained personal data, the provision of personal data to third parties, procedures regarding requests for disclosure, revision, etc., of retained personal data, and reception of complaints regarding the handling of personal information based on the Law Concerning the Protection of Personal Information, Policy on the Protection of Personal Information (Cabinet decision), Enforcement ordinances for the Law Concerning the Protection of Personal Information, and guidelines issued by the minister responsible for Law Concerning the Protection of Personal Information.
Personal information related to employment management, such as the personal information of Berlitz Japan employees and others, does not fall under the provisions of this public announcement.
Matters Publicly Announced
- Purposes of Use of Personal Information and Retained Personal Data
- (1)The purposes of use of the personal information obtained directly by Berlitz Japan from the relevant person through a means other than writing (including websites), personal information obtained indirectly, and retained personal data are listed under b) in relation to the operations listed under a).
- (A)Operations in which the information will be used
- (ⅰ) Foreign language lessons.
- (ⅱ) Language training taken at companies.
- (ⅲ) Tests, such as GTEC.
- (ⅳ) Language training provided overseas or related training provider introductory activities.
- (ⅴ) Other operations related to or incidental to the above items
- (B)Purpose of use
- (ⅰ)To provide products and services in response to orders.
- (ⅱ)To provide guidance/information on company products and services.
- (ⅲ)To prepare questionnaires and surveys, in addition to statistical and marketing materials
- (ⅳ)To use in research, planning, and development related to Berlitz Japan operations
- (ⅴ)To outsource duties in the various processes (including the planning, development, production, marketing, sales promotion, sales, and delivery of products and services), and to request cooperation in operations monitoring
- (ⅵ)To perform information management related to payments and billing as required by laws and regulations
- (ⅶ)Other operations related to or incidental to the above items.
- Note: Berlitz Japan shall, in principle, clearly state separately the purposes of use of personal information obtained directly from the principal in writing (including websites)
- (2)Purpose of use
- (1)Berlitz Japan shall properly control the personal data it retains and shall not, excluding cases provided by law as exceptions, provide such personal data to third parties without receiving the consent of the relevant person in advance
- (2)Berlitz Japan shall, in the case of joint use of personal data with a specified third party, directly notify the relevant person or publicly announce by posting on its website the fact that the personal data will be used jointly by the specified party, the items of personal data that will be jointly used, the party who will be jointly using the data, the purposes of use by that party, and the title of the person responsible for control of the said personal data at that party
- (1)Requests for notification of purposes of use, disclosure, correction, addition, removal, deletion, suspension of use, or suspension of provision to third parties, or the submission of complaints regarding the handling of personal information should be addressed to the following contact:
- Contact person for matters related to the handling of personal information
Tel: 03-3505-1960 (10:00-18:00, except Sat/Sun/Public holidays/Year-end and year-start holidays)
- Note 1: No request made in person at Berlitz Japan offices or language centers will be accepted.
- Note 2: Separate regulations govern matters provided in 1 and 2 above in relation to executives and employees (including applicants to all positions and retired employees and executives) of Berlitz Japan. Please inquire at the contact number above regarding the handling of such personal information
- (2)Name of Authorized Personal Information Protection Organization
- Berlitz Japan is not affiliated with any authorized personal information protection organization at the present time.
- Calls to our free call number (0120-5-109-23) are recorded for operator training and quality improvement purposes
Handling of Browsing History
Berlitz Japan, Inc.
Berlitz Japan, Inc., shall obtain and use the following information when customers access the Berlitz Japan website from personal computers or mobile phones, etc. (hereinafter, “browsing history, etc.”).
- Terminal identification information
- User environment information (ISP, terminal environment, etc.)
- Pages viewed on Berlitz Japan website and how site was used.
- Identifying information distributed to Berlitz Japan when a customer uses the services of an external company that is affiliated with Berlitz Japan.
*In such cases, there may be occasions when Berlitz Japan shares identifying information to such services with other companies we are affiliated with.
*This information is only obtained with the customer’s permission.
This viewing history, etc., enables the customer to save time when viewing or using the site the next time they access the site, etc. In addition to using such information for service research and development purposes, it is utilized to provide advertising and other services that are tailored to interests, etc.
Cookies may be disabled or deleted by changing browser settings. However, this may result in a reduced user experience when viewing the site, and may result in some services being rendered unusable or some other loss of functionality occurring. We therefore recommend cookies are enabled.
1 Cookies, etc., refer to methods of recording which pages were viewed by customers, etc., when they use the Berlitz Japan website. In addition to cookies, web beacons and shared objects are also used.
Joint use of browsing history data, etc., by the Benesse Group
Berlitz Japan, Inc.
Berlitz Japan, Inc., is a Benesse Holdings Group company.
Among the above browsing history, etc., information from cookies, etc., obtained by using the following web analysis tool may be jointly used by Benesse Group companies in a way that does not identify the individual.
- 「Adobe Analytics (a web data analysis tool provided by Adobe Systems Inc.)
http://www.d1.sc.omtrdc.net/optout.html?locale=jp_JP(*clicking this link will take you away from the Berlitz Japan website)
Behavioral targeted advertising provided by Internet advertising companies
• Berlitz Japan may use behavioral targeted advertising provided by Internet advertising companies. This type of ad customization is enabled through cookies, etc., and allows for ads you receive on the Berlitz Japan website and others to be customized to your interests. Please note that the information collected from page view history, etc., does not include any personally identifiable information and is not used for any purpose than to customize advertising displayed on the website.
If you wish to opt-out from receiving targeted advertising from the aforementioned Internet advertising companies, please do so using the following methods:
- （1） Opt out from receiving ads using Advertising Option icon
Clicking the icon at the top-right of displayed ads will take you to the relevant linked website where you can opt out of the interest-based advertising that you received.
- （2）Opt out of ads served by affiliated advertising companies
If you wish to opt-out from behavioral advertising from affiliated companies, please do so by following the instructions given by internet advertising companies listed below: