Today's WordMaster is no one's favorite character trait, but few of us make it through life without encountering at least one person who possesses it in spades!
- If someone is arrogant, they feel that they are better or more important than others, often ordering people around in an unpleasant manner.
The noun form is arrogance.
- arrogant とは、自分が人よりも優れている、重要であると考えて、周りの人に不快感を与えるような形で命令することが多い、つまり、横柄な、尊大な、ごう慢な、という意味です。
- I quit because my boss was rude and arrogant.
- a: I can't believe how arrogant he is!
b: Well, that's what happens when you're the owner's son and get anything you ask for.
- He'd be a wonderful doctor if he wasn't so arrogant with his patients.
- (president of an investment firm)
She's the best analyst I've got, but her arrogance makes her totally unsuitable for a supervisory position.
- I'm afraid we've had a few run-ins in the past. I have trouble putting up with his arrogance.
May we all have patience and understanding when it is most needed!