2007.11.28(Review of 2006.01.18 edition)
Greetings! Are you ready for this week's next idiom? If you think today's expression must mean something warm and comfortable, like a good long soak in a hot spring bath, then you definitely need to take a closer look!
- To be in hot water is to be in trouble or in a difficult situation.
- in hot water とは、面倒なことになっている、困難な状況になっている、という意味です。
- Dan is in hot water at the office. He lied to his supervisor about being sick yesterday.
- The school was in some really hot water with the parents after a teacher slapped a student in class.
- (an employee borrowing company equipment without permission)
a: Don't worry. I'm only borrowing it for the weekend.
b: I sure hope you don't get into hot water over this.
- The candidate's speech about the war got him into political hot water.