Just as you need a steady diet of new vocabulary to speak English with confidence and competence - the whole idea behind WordMaster, by the way - a business's facilities and equipment need daily attention and care to function at their best. That's where this department comes in!
- To maintain a machine, building, etc. is to inspect and repair it regularly so that it stays in good condition.
The noun form is maintenance.
- maintain とは、よい状態を保つために、機械や建物を定期的に点検し、修理をすること、つまり、整備する、という意味です。
名詞形は maintenance で、整備、という意味です。
- We're spending nearly $40,000 a year to maintain this old equipment and keep it running. It would be cheaper just to replace it.
- A group of residents protested in front of the mayor's office to complain about the poor maintenance of the city's streets.
- a: A couple of light bulbs are out in the conference room.
b: Just give Maintenance a call and ask them to send someone up to replace them.
And don't forget to give the WordMaster a call again on Monday. Until then, have a great weekend!