2008.12.03(Review of 2005.04.01 edition)
If you've ever belonged to a club or other organization which required that you pay a monthly or annual fee (“dues”) to join, you'll have no trouble understanding the meaning of today's WordMaster@Work!
- To pay your dues is to earn a right to do something, through hard work or hard experiences.
- pay your dues とは、辛い仕事や経験を通して、何かをする権利を得る、つまり、下積みの経験をする、という意味です。
- You can't expect to be transferred overseas right away. You have to pay your dues first.
- (CEO to his son on his first day with the company)
Don't expect special treatment just because you're my son. You'll be expected to pay your dues like everyone else.
- (a freshman in college)
First juku then juken and yobiko - I've paid my dues. Now I'm going to enjoy myself for the next four years!
- He paid his dues for 15 long years. He deserves his high salary and all the perks of his new position.
Enjoy the rest of your day!