The world can always use a little more compassion ... and another edition of Berlitz WordMaster!
FEEL SORRY FOR 〜を気の毒に思う、かわいそうに思う
- To feel sorry for someone is to feel sad or bad for them because of something unpleasant that has happened.
- feel sorry for someone は、誰かに好ましくない出来事が起こったことを、気の毒に思う、という意味です。
- (children choosing teams for a baseball game)
a: Why did you pick Albert? You know that he can't hit the ball.
b: I felt sorry for him. He's always the last one to be picked.
- I feel so sorry for Brian - losing his job like that, and after 15 years with the company!
- Oh, stop feeling sorry for yourself! It's your fault that Wendy left you.