2009.01.14(Review of 2006.06.01 edition)
Should a company reward employees for years of service or for the quality of that service? Here are a couple of expressions to use when chewing that one over!
MERIT SYSTEM / SENIORITY SYSTEM
- An organization that has a merit system hires and promotes people based on their ability.
An organization that has a seniority system promotes people based on the number of years they have been with the organization.
- merit system とは、能力に基づいて人材を採用、昇進させる組織の制度、つまり、能力主義のことです。
seniority system とは、組織に勤めた年数に基づいて、社員を昇進させる制度、つまり、年功序列制度のことです。
- In that country, government jobs must, by law, be filled under a merit system, which means hiring the most qualified candidates.
- Since salary and promotion decisions are now based on the merit system, the performance review has become more important than ever.
- Many organizations believe that using a seniority system encourages greater commitment and improves morale.
- Since the 1990s, there has been a shift in Japanese business from lifetime employment within a strict seniority system to increased job mobility and a merit system that rewards achievement.
Thanks for going the distance today!