2009.06.03(Review of 2006.11.29 edition)
One of the best things about cell phones is that they allow you to bypass switchboards, call centers, and all the other middlemen and machines employed to take other people's calls. But here's a way of managing the same trick with a landline!
DIRECT NUMBER 直通番号
- A direct number is a telephone number you dial in order to reach someone (for example, in an office) without going through the main switchboard.
- direct number とは、代表電話を経由せずに、（例えば、ある会社の）誰かに電話をかけるために使う電話番号、つまり、直通の電話番号のことです。
- a: Is there a direct number?
b: No, you'll have to go through the hotel switchboard.
- The switchboard closes at 5:30. Try calling his direct number instead.
- Here's my business card. I've written my direct number on the bottom.
- (doctor to patient)
I don't have a direct number. If you need to contact me, leave a message with reception, and I'll call you back as soon as I can.
See you again tomorrow!