A pen pal is someone you establish a friendship with by exchanging letters. But in this age of electronic communication, shouldn't we coin an alternative expression - something like “keyboard comrade”?
- To correspond with someone is to communicate with them in writing (= by letter, e-mail, etc.), especially over a period of time.
Correspondence (uncountable noun) is the act of corresponding, or the letters, e-mails, etc., that you write and receive.
- correspond は、特に一定期間にわたって（手紙やメールなどの）書面で誰かと連絡を取る、つまり、文通する、という意味です。
- I've been corresponding by e-mail with my counterpart in Sapporo about the matter.
- We've been corresponding for years. I've probably received over 100 letters from her by now.
- He teaches a business correspondence course at the technical college.
- I've been away from the office for a while and am behind in my correspondence.
Look for us in the mail again tomorrow!