2009.10.15 (Review of 2005.09.15 edition)
Here's why the first animal listed in most dictionaries isn't “cat,” “dog,” or “bird,” but rather ... “aardvark”!
ALPHABETICAL ORDER / NUMERICAL ORDER
- To put a group of items in alphabetical order is to arrange them according to how they're spelled, so that those items beginning with the letter “A” come before those beginning with the letter “B”, etc.
To put a group of items in numerical order is to arrange them according to the numbers connected with them (for example, calendar dates, college course numbers, ISBN codes on books, etc.).
- alphabetical order に並べるとは、複数のものをそれぞれの綴りに従って、Ａで始まるものがＢで始まるものの前にくるように並べる、つまり、アルファベット順に並べる、という意味です。
numerical order に並べるとは、複数のものをそれぞれに付けられた数字（例えば、日付、大学の講義番号、書籍のISBNコード（国際標準図書番号）など）の順に並べる、という意味です。
- The files are all in alphabetical order, so please keep them that way.
- (contest judge)
I'll announce the winners in alphabetical order.
- Conference attendees are listed in alphabetical order by organization name on the last page of the Proceedings.
- (at a video rental shop)
CUSTOMER: How are movies arranged on the shelves?
EMPLOYEE: We put them in alphabetical order by title.
- The books are arranged in numerical order by call number (= the number on books in a library).
- I like to start filenames with a date so that files can be sorted in numerical order from oldest to most recent.