It's payday at WordMaster@Work, so treat yourself to today's edition!
(pay) HIKE （賃金）引き上げ
- A hike (noun) is a sudden increase in prices, taxes, etc.
The verb form is hike or hike up.
- hike （名詞）とは、物価や税金などが急激に上がることです。
動詞形は hike または hike up で、急に引き上げる、という意味です。
- City workers are getting a 7% pay hike this year.
- Most smokers said that the latest tax hike (on cigarettes) has had little effect on their smoking habits.
- The mechanics went on strike last week, demanding a hike in wages and increased medical and disability coverage.
- Airlines have had to hike ticket prices in order to offset recent oil price hikes.
- If they keep hiking up the interest rates, it's going to be a lot harder for new businesses to borrow the money they need to get started.
It's been a pleasure!