Imagine that the family next door (let's call them the Joneses) drives home in a flashy new sports car. Might you perhaps begin to take less pleasure in driving that old sedan? Might you even be found lurking around European car dealerships on the odd weekend?
KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES 隣人と張り合う
- To keep up with the Joneses is to show that you're as good as the people around you by having a lifestyle like theirs and owning the same (often expensive) things they do.
- keep up with the Joneses は、周りの人と同じような生活を送り、（多くの場合、高価な）同じものを所有して、自分は彼らと同じくらい優れていると示す、という意味です。
- a: Nice car! That must have cost a pretty penny.
b: Well, one has to keep up with the Joneses, you know!
- Everyone's so busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that they don't even have time to get to know the Joneses, or any of their other neighbors.
- I've never bothered about keeping up with the Joneses. I feel like I already have all I need.
Enjoy your day off tomorrow. We'll be back on Thursday!