The other day, I was actually able to take my coat off and enjoy a few minutes of sunshine. You know what that means …Spring is almost here! In celebration of this somewhat warmer time of year we are going to look at some idioms related to spring and weather. Here are some common phrases you can incorporate into your speech as the weather warms up! Keep in mind though, that unlike Japan our spring is usually quite rainy in the U.S. and U.K. and our summers are not really very rainy at all.
Spring Fever: To have spring fever is to feel restless from the long cold winter. It is the over eagerness to enjoy the warm spring sunshine!
April showers bring May flowers
April showers bring May flowers: With spring sunshine comes spring rain. This expression is used to ease the pain of rainy April days and remind one that the rain is necessary to allow the plants to come back to life after winter!
It’s raining cats and dogs
It’s raining cats and dogs: This expression is used to refer to very very heavy rain, particularly the kind of rain that is generally associated with the springtime.
Spring chicken: To be a spring chicken is to be very young and full of life.
Spring to life
Spring to life: To spring to life is to come back to life again. The expression comes from the idea that things go dormant over the winter due to the cold, and the warmer weather of spring brings them back to life again.
March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb
March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb: This expression is used to refer to the weather in the month of March. Typically, March begins with colder weather as the winter begins to fade and spring begins to take shape. The beginning of March is strong and fierce, like a lion. As the month progresses, the temperatures warms up and the snow melts and March begins to more closely resemble the gentle nature of a lamb than a lion.
Now test yourself by completing the sentences with the correct idiom from above! You can find the answer at the bottom of the page.
1. Mary may try to hide it, but she is a ______________. Everyone is always surprised by how old she is, she is really quite energetic!
2. I’m so excited about the warm temperatures; I think I'm beginning to suffer from ______________!
3. It was _________________ on the drive home last night; I could barely see out of the window!
4. March began with terrible blizzard, and now it’s warm and sunny! March sure did come in like a lion and I am happy that it is going _____________!
5. The party always ____________ when Erin walks in.
6. I know the weather hasn’t been great lately, but remember: April showers bring _______________!
Now go enjoy that weather, and if it starts raining cats and dogs, why not come inside to learn a new language?
Answers 1. spring chicken 2. spring fever 3. raining cats and dogs 4. out like a lamb 5. springs to life 6. May flowers
英語を話す時、あなたは "get your wires crossed" しますか?