If you had to write down an appointment in your planner, but knew that the appointment might be changed later, would you use a pen or a pencil? Well, if it's the latter, then today's edition should make perfect sense to you!
- To pencil in an appointment, someone's name, etc., is to write it down (for example, on a calendar) while understanding that it may have to be changed later.
- 約束や人の名前などについて pencil in と言うと、後で変更することになるかもしれないと分かった上で、（例えばカレンダーなどに）書き留めておく、という意味です。
- I'll pencil you in for 2:00, but give me a call in the morning if you can't make it.
- We've penciled in a possible date for the company retreat, but won't be able to announce it until we've booked a location.
- Shall we pencil in a staff meeting for sometime on Friday morning?
- For now, Helen's been penciled in as the new editor from June, but she's been having some health concerns that could keep her from actually taking the position.
Enjoy the holiday tomorrow!